Friday, March 14, 2008
According to The Dice Report, the latest snapshot on the technology job market published by dice.com for the month of March 2008, Oracle Database is the skill thats the most in demand. This is certainly heartening especially for the Oracle DBA community.
Click here for more details....
- Our existing version on HPUX is 10.1.2.0.2. We downloaded the same Linux x86 version from the OTN site. Oracle Discoverer 10g is also called Oracle Business Intelligence SE (Standard Edition).
- Install the Linux 10.1.2.0.2 software on the target linux host.
- Create $ORACLE_HOME/discoverer/secure directory
- To provide transparency and a much more friendly user URL to end users, we got a DNS alias for the linux host. After the installation, $ORACLE_HOME/chgip/scripts/chgiphost.sh -mid is run to update the discoverer installation's configuration files with the DNS alias (Compare it with adautocfg.sh in Oracle E-Business Suite 11i.
- Shutdown the discoverer processes on the existing HPUX platform.
- Migrate the discoverer preferences from the source HPUX to the target Linux platform. Discoverer preferences are settings that define the Discoverer environment and control the behavior of Discoverer Plus and Discoverer Viewer. Whenever an individual user changes preferences in discoverer, thet are stored in a hidden file $ORACLE_HOME/discoverer/.reg_key.dc. This file contains values in a platform specific format and therefore needs to be converted to the target platform format.
- Backup the target linux platform’s $ORACLE_HOME/discoverer/.reg_key.dc
- Copy the $ORACLE_HOME/discoverer/.reg_key.dc from source platform to Linux as hpux_reg_key.dc
- On Linux , cd $ORACLE_HOME/discoverer/util and run the below conversion script
- perl convertreg.pl hpux_reg_key.dc $ORACLE_HOME/discoverer/.reg_key.dc
3. Apply any one-off patches on Linux that have been applied in source platform
4. Migrate tnsnames.ora and dbc files from source to Linux.
5. Start the linux discoverer processes (opmnctl startall and emctl start iasconsole)
6. Oracle Discoverer is now LIVE on Linux !